Become a Tutor
The Learning Support Center Is Always Hiring!
Do you want to engage in learn by doing and make a positive impact on student success at Cal Poly?
Join a team of over 100 undergraduate and graduate tutors who facilitate one-to-one and small group learning support consultations for courses in all six colleges including foundational courses in each department and key subject areas like written communication, mathematics, statistics, biology, and engineering. This is a great opportunity to assist your peers while strengthening your own discipline-specific knowledge, problem-solving skills, and study strategies.
Learning Support Center tutors generally work between 4-12 hours per week, with shifts that accommodate their course schedules. The starting pay rate for this position is $16.25 per hour.
- Sophomore standing or higher
- Enrollment in six or more course units (four or more units if you are a graduate student)
- B- or better in the course(s) you wish to tutor.
- Availability to work at least four hours a week
- Willingness and availability to attend paid trainings and staff meetings
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering an inclusive learning environment
- Recommendation from an instructor who teaches the course(s) you wish to tutor
- Prior experience as a learning support specialist (e.g., as a learning assistant, academic coach, supplemental workshop leader, study session leader, or tutor)
- Experience and interest in tutoring multiple subject areas and/or multiple courses
- For writing tutors: Completion of ENGL 368: Theory and Proactive of Peer-to-peer Writing Instruction, OR junior standing and completion of GE Area C2 (GE Area C1 for students on the 2019-2020 or earlier catalogs)
Complete a Tutor Application, and a tutor coordinator will contact you.