Writing and Learning

Connect. Collaborate. Achieve.

GWR Information for Transfer Students

If you transferred to Cal Poly from another CSU campus:
You may receive GWR credit if you fulfilled the requirement while enrolled at another CSU campus. Ask a representative from the GWR office at your former CSU campus to send to the Writing and Learning Initiatives office (writingandlearning@calpoly.edu) an official letter verifying GWR completion.
If you transferred to Cal Poly from a 4-year institution outside of the CSU system:
You will need to fulfill the GWR at Cal Poly because students must earn GWR credit from the CSU campus at which they matriculate.
If you transferred to Cal Poly from a community college:
You will need to fulfill the GWR at Cal Poly even if you were GE-certified at your community college because the GWR is an upper-division University degree requirement, and students must complete the requirement at the CSU campus at which they are matriculated.

Related Content

Special Events

Join us for a talk with renowned social linguistics and literacy scholar Dr. Suresh Canagarajah in conjunction with Global Accessibility Awareness Day on May 18, 2023:

Crip Writing: Communication through a Disability and Decolonial Lens

For more information, visit our Special Events webpage.

Academic Preparation and Transitions

The CSU has established procedures regarding first-year enrollment in General Education written communication and mathematics courses, including the assessments used to inform academic placement and support. The Office of Writing and Learning plays an integral role in help incoming first-year students prepare for a successful college experience through the Supportive Pathways for First-Year Students program. More information is available on the Academic Preparation and Transitions webpage

Academic Support

The Writing and Learning Initiatives Office offers a comprehensive menu of academic resources designed to ensure optimal educational opportunities for diverse student populations: peer consultants offer free tutoring in any course or subject, peer-led supplemental workshops and study sessions provide support for STEM-specific courses, and the online Study Strategies Library offers a collection of resources to help you achieve your learning goals. More information is available on the Academic Support Programs webpage

Graduation Writing Requirement

All degree-seeking Cal Poly students, including a Master's degree or teaching credential, must fulfill the GWR. Undergraduate students must complete 90 units before they can attempt to fulfill the requirement and should do so before the senior year. The two pathways to GWR completion are 1) in an approved upper-division course and 2) via the GWR Portfolio. More information is available on the GWR webpage